Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yard Sales- Does it Have to Be New?

I am an avid yard sale shopper. I love yard sales. I find so many AWESOME deals. Not only for myself but I like to sell on ebay to bring in a little cash. Like with anything else you have to practice to get good at it. Yesterday I made a bit of splurge but it was so worth it!

I was at a yard sale and found a little beat up train book but decided to get it anyway because my boy LOVES trains. I mentioned it to the lady having the yard sale and she said she had a Thomas the train set she was trying to sell but hadn't been successful yet.She brought it out and it was a Thomas the Tank engine basic figure 8 track with 6 complete locomotive sets. I couldn't believe it. The trains themselves sold for $20 a set and she was asking $30 for everything. Not only would David love it but once we were done I could re-sell it on ebay and make back what I spent for sure. I would have saved this for Christmas but I know David's "favorite" toy theme changes and wasn't sure if he would still love trains in December. His birthday wasn't until January so the lucky boy had Christmas in June!

I find so many of these hidden treasures. For yard sale tips click here. I have been doing this for several years and have some basics I have learned. Although yesterday I was pleasantly surprised because I had to yard sale near my house due to time and I walked away with these items:
  • The Thomas the Tank engine set $30.
  • A cat post in good condition for $2. We are planning on getting a couple of kittens and I didn't want to buy everything at retail. I want to invest as little as possible on a free or almost free animal.
  • Aeropostle and Holister shirts. My daughter won't wear anything but these brands and a lady was selling shirts for $1 in "like new" condition. (If my daughter knew I told you I bought her shirts at a yard sale she would kill me).
  • A crockpot for $2. It was an older model but works great. It is medium size and perfect for day-to day cooking.
Try yard sale shopping. If you are not very successful your first time don't give up. Some weeks I walk away with nothing and others I have a van full!

No comments:

Post a Comment