Saturday, February 27, 2010

You Can Do It!

I have been using GrocerySmarts for a couple of years and I am well "seasoned" to the system and have forgotten the learning curve you can experience when just starting out.  My mom has decided to use this system and helps me understand the feelings and frustrations that can come when you are just starting.  I thought I would give some advice as you start this journey so you can succeed.

1- Remember this is not a marathon.  You want to know how everything works and be a pro-shopper starting with your first trip.  And I hope you are but it does take practice.  Just like anything it comes with experience.  You are learning a new saving system.  You will learn, faster than you think.  Don't give up too soon if you are discouraged.

2- In my class I mention this but want to say it again.  The manufacturers put out their coupons about a month before there is a good sale to go along with their coupon.  My mom was frustrated because she has been filing her coupons for a few weeks and has hardly used any.  I had to remind her she is stock-piling her coupons and the sales will come.

3-  Sales come in waves.  Some weeks there are tons of hot items to buy and others there are few.  It can be frustrating if you are on a low-week.  You are excited and want a big cart full of items using your coupons.  It will happen but it doesn't always happen every week.

I am actually glad there are not super sales every week because I would have to let some of them go by.  I only have a certain amount of money I can spend each month and I would be sad I was missing out on too many good deals.  Also every family's needs are different.  My grocery list could be completely different from yours and my "on" week might be an "off" week for you.

4- The grocery lists are GREAT.  I save hundreds of dollars on my groceries by using GrocerySmarts lists to buy my meat, dairy and produce as well as coupon items.   Just this week I stocked up on some pasta that was an extremely low price even though I didn't have coupon to use with it.  So use those lists for all your grocery needs don't just skim the coupon items.

5-Online Coupons- These coupons have the biggest learning curve.  These coupons can be a great asset and a big pain.  There is a bigger learning curve understanding the wording, the pages you have to sort through and what needs to be done to find an online coupon sometimes.

If you are a beginner and don't want to be over-whelmed skip the online coupons.  I think of online coupons as an extra set of coupons.   Not my main supply of my coupons.  Make sure you check out my coupon-decoder to help with online coupon info.  If the whole online coupon thing is going to discourage you, skip them.  You won't be missing out on all the deals.  In fact most of the time you have a coupon in your newspaper coupons already.  These just give you some additional coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment