Friday, February 12, 2010

Dinner Ideas This Week


Sorry my dinner ideas are behind this week. With my master list and teaching my class, the menu got put on the back burner.

Also bear with me as I figure out my blog and how I am going to list these dinners. I am trying to come up with a plan so you can find them by category and not just have them in one big blog post.

Once again I feel the store sales are not focused on dinners. Just another reason to start using the Grocerysmarts shopping plan so you can have on hand the extra things you need when the weekly store sales aren't the best.

Example last week lemons and limes were on sale so I bought a couple and now chicken is on sale so I have a couple of recipes that work with that. I also posted those recipes because they are tasty and inexpensive to make.

Canned items are always a great thing to have in your pantry. I try to focus on meals that have canned items included so you don't have to buy everything fresh. Often if everything is fresh, it is not all on sale and it brings the cost of your meal up.

Also I included a couple of hot sandwich ideas. I have found we love having hot sandwiches. They usually are super easy because you can crock pot the meat. And then you slap it on a roll with some cheese. Side dishes are a snap, we usually have chips (baked if your dieting) and a Caesar salad or fruit. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. And he thinks hot sandwiches qualify as a dinner (yay!).

I found I could ease our budget if I bought day-old rolls on the baker's clearance rack or made homemade rolls. My favorite rolls are French Bread Rolls and World's Best Rolls.

Don't forget soups. While the weather is cold soups are a great budget-friendly meal. My family thinks it is a great meal if I make a loaf of bread or have french bread with it.

What's on the Menu:
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
French Dip Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sandwiches
Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken
Chicken and Vegetable Dumpling Soup
Chicken Pot Pie

Ideas to go with your dinner:
  • Caesar Salad (Romaine .69 ea Ream's)
  • Toss Salad (Ranch .50 ea lettuce, .50/lb Roma Tomatoes, .49 ea cucumbers Harmon's)
  • Check your list for Litehouse dressing they're on sale at a lot of stores
  • Orange Slices(.59/lb Fresh Market)
  • Pineapple (.99/lb Fresh Market)
  • Baby Carrots (.99/ 1 pound bag Fresh Market)



No comments:

Post a Comment