Friday, May 15, 2009

Baby Steps...The List


I am no expert but I just felt like I should share a little shopping advice I have learned.
  1. Make a list- I spend so much more money at the store if I don't have a list. Impulse buying ruins your budget. In fact I budget a little so I can impulse buy. I will plan on "fudging" $5 or $10 so I don't go over budget. You have to make your budget work for you.
  2. Add it up. Before I go to the store I will pencil in next to the items what I will be spending on those and then add it up. If I add something to my basket that wasn't on the list I will write it down. So when I get to the counter I have a good idea what my total will be.
  3. Check your receipt. I will look it over to make sure everything adds up correctly. Maybe an item didn't ring up the right price. Maybe the checker rung you up twice for the same item. I have caught many mistakes that either I or the store have made and saved myself money. Also I have been given a couple coupons on my receipt I would have missed if I didn't look it over.
  4. Don't be afraid or embarrassed. This is a big one for me. When I have goofed up I have returned items rather than just taking a loss. If you don't ask you won't know the answer. There is no dumb question.
  5. Be courteous. If checkers get nasty couponers then we will get a bad reputation. But if we are workable and considerate then they will treat us the same way. Yes there are just some bad apples but I have found most of the time the cashier is friendly if I am friendly and courteous.
Hope this helps you as you shop this week!

2 comments:

  1. There are a bunch of coupons on Kraftfoods.com that you can print today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you get past the coupon part that says only one offer per transaction? Like when you got all the mayo for so cheap, did you have to keep going back for it or did they just let you get it all at once?

    ReplyDelete