Sunday, November 7, 2010

Canned Goods for Food Storage

Do you ever have a tight food budget week?  Maybe a car repair or an unexpected bill hit and you have to scrimp on your food budget.  Pay attention to the items you are missing in your food supply and jot it down.  I started keeping a diary in my computer of  these essential items I am missing.  Now I  can add them to my food storage.  

For example when the budget is tight I use more canned fruits and vegetables.  I noticed I had hardly any canned fruit because we eat fresh so often.  But Smith's has their fruit on sale this week for .49 a can!  I stocked up so when we have a tight week we have that to fall back on.  Right now lots of canned goods are going on sale for great prices.

I also try to pay attention to food items that I need to buy weekly such as milk and eggs.  I make sure those are in my food storage because they are an essential part of my family's diet.  No, we don't drink powdered milk.  But I use those items in my cooking.  And if there came a time we had to rely completely on our food storage I want to be prepared.

The holidays are coming up which means baking items will be on sale.  This is a great time to replenish your pantry.  I understand if you feel like your budget is so thin you can't do anything.  But even if you bought one extra item that was on sale for a great price, you will have increased your food storage.

Food Storage Tip - When you are cooking and run low on something write in down on your shopping list and buy double. Then the next time you need it you will have it on hand and can just replace your storage on hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment